Thursday 6 August 2009

Isn't it ironic...don't you think?

Irony upsets me generally. Well, not irony itself I suppose, but the way in which the term is flung around with total glutton disregard.

For instance, my friends take great delight in the fact that I always correct people when they say something is ironic and it's actually not - I just can't help jumping in.

This in turn means the person I rudely corrected naturally then puts me on the spot and ask me what irony is. This always leads to me crumbling before their delighted eyes as I make a terrible stab at trying to explain it.

Well, this week I came across two great stories which I feel is irony in all its blazing glory. Feel free to correct.

First is this story I noticed on the BBC website.

An illegal immigrant managed to smuggle himself into the UK by hanging on underneath a coach full of Border Agency officers returning from France.

Despite the driver carrying out checks, the man squeezed into a space next to the fuel tank, evaded capture and ran off when they arrived in Folkestone.

Before setting off from Coquelles near Calais with coach of immigration officers, the driver - who is not an employee of the Border Agency - carried out the usual checks to make sure there were no stowaways.

But unbeknown to him - and the immigration officers onboard - a man had managed to get underneath the coach and squeeze himself into a small space next to the fuel tank.

The other example was on the BBC World service.

The presenter was talking to an expert of internet addiction in China and was saying that a number of sufferers had created a computer users anonymous group to support each other in their addiction to spending all their time online instead of interacting with people in their normal day to day lives. Which is all well and good, if the group wasn't based online.

Here is a famous clip of Ed Byrne talking about irony

1 comment:

  1. Well said Jimbob, it really hacks me off too when people confuse irony with sarcasm. But I can't explain what it actually is either.

    ReplyDelete